Intermin recognizes environmental management as a corporate priority. Intermin employees care about preserving the environment for future generations, while also providing for safe, responsible and profitable operations, by developing natural resources for the benefit of its employees, shareholders, and communities.
Intermin believes that taking the steps today to carefully plan our daily activities and design our projects to prevent and mitigate environmental impact is good business practice, reducing both short- and long-term risks of and at our projects.
In adopting the following Statement of Principles throughout all stages of exploration, development, mining and closure, Intermin intends to set and maintain standards of excellence for environmental performance at all its operations.
- Intermin will communicate its commitment to excellence in environmental performance to its subsidiaries, employees, contractors, other agents and the communities in which it operates.
- All new activities and operations will be managed to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations. In the absence of regulation, best management practices will be applied to minimize environmental risk.
- Remediation and mitigation of historical mining impacts on properties acquired by Intermin will be managed through the cooperative involvement of Intermin with previous owners, government agencies and the community.
- To achieve its commitment to environmental excellence, Intermin will use an environmental management system that ensures prioritization, planning, implementation, monitoring and honest reporting.
- Intermin will strive to minimize releases to the air, land or water and will ensure appropriate treatment and disposal of waste.
- Intermin will allocate the necessary resources to meet its reclamation and environmental obligations.
- Intermin will continuously seek opportunities to improve its environmental performance through adherence to these principles.
- Intermin will regularly report progress to its employees, shareholders and the communities in which it operates.
- Intermin encourages all employees and contractors to make sustainability a personal responsibility, as important to the success of a project as safety and fiscal responsibility.